10 for 15: Sara Hubl

Communication, problem-solving and conflict resolution are just a few of the skills Sara Hubl has learned while working at the Lion’s Den coffee shop on campus. Sara says the experience has given her a solid foundation for her future career endeavors.

The Lion’s Den is the student-run coffee shop on Loyola Marymount University’s campus. Operated by Campus Recreation, it prides itself on having a friendly and energetic staff that serves only 100% fair-trade and organic products. Sara, a senior biochemistry major and dance minor from Bakersfield, started working at the Lion’s Den as a freshman, and most recently was its Sales and Inventory Manager. Sara — also is a president of the Creare service organization, member of Alpha Chi Omega women’s organization and the Chemistry Society — plans to do post graduate service after she graduates on Saturday.

As part of the10 for 15interview series, freshman Nathalie Rubin asked 10 questions to 10 seniors from the Class of 2015 who were involved in Student Affairs. Here’s what Sara had to say about her experience as the Sales and Inventory Manager of the Lion’s Den.

Why did you choose to come to Loyola Marymount University?

I actually didn’t know very much about LMU when I applied, but ultimately, the fact that it was a smaller, Jesuit university was appealing to me. After I was accepted, I toured the campus. I absolutely fell in love with the beauty of the school and the students that I met on my campus tour. I knew instantly that it was the right place for me.

How did you come to work at the Lion’s Den?

I attended the job fair during move-in weekend my freshman year. There, I met a very charismatic gentleman by the name of Brady. He got me to turn in an application and sign up for an interview on the spot. I interviewed very late that Saturday night. A few days later I got the job!

How has you involvement with the Lion’s Den affected your experience at LMU?

The Lion’s Den was the first place I felt at “home” at LMU. The employees became like family to me. My freshman year, there were two upperclassmen in particular at the Den that made a notably positive impact on me. I nicknamed them “mom” and “dad” because they took me under their wings and dedicated so much of themselves to looking after my well-being. I am indebted to these two people for helping me to feel secure and settled at LMU. Additionally, they were great mentors in the workplace and taught me good habits and work ethic that I attribute to my success at the Lion’s Den.

What is your favorite memory from working at the Lion’s Den?

My favorite memory from working at the Lion’s Den is always finals week. I love how the students band together and support one another through the struggles of the week. With the Den being open 24 hours a day for the entirety of the week, we are able to cater to the caffeine needs of our fellow students while offering support from one student to another as the semester comes to a close.

Who in Campus Rec has inspired you and how have they done so?

I would not be where I am today if it hadn’t been for Carolyn Espinoza. She has been amazing to work with over the last two years as I have held the Sales and Inventory Manager position. She gives her utmost attention to not only the smooth operation of the Lion’s Den as a business but also values the well-being of the student employees. Additionally, Trey Duval has supported the Lion’s Den since it’s beginning. I would like to thank him for continually offering his love, time, and effort to the Den. Lastly, the Campus Recreation office functions so well as a team. All of the professional staff is wholly invested in ensuring that the student employees and the students we serve are having the best experience possible.

What is the most important lesson you have learned from working at the Lion’s Den that you’ll take with you?

The most important lesson that I have learned from working at the Lion’s Den is rooted in our motto of “students serving students.” It is crucial to give of yourself to those around you. Every person is valuable and it is imperative that we remind one another of this fact. Asking how someone’s day is going, complimenting someone, or even just sharing a smile can be a positive contribution to someone’s day. If we offer ourselves in service to one another, we can build meaningful and lasting bonds. The people I have come to know through this job are the most valuable part and whom I learn the most from. Everyday I walk into work I have the opportunity to learn and love with not only the employees, but our professional staff and customers as well. The Den fosters a community beyond that of our own employees. We strive to build community across the university through our small campus hub. The Den has taught me the necessity of fostering community through empowering and valuing one another even if the least we can do is offer, “love in a cup.”

What is something most people don’t know about working at the Lion’s Den that you’d like them to know?

We offer all of our drink specials at any time of the year, not just the week that the drink is featured. We stock all of the components of the drinks all year round. So if you have a favorite drink special, you can get it whenever your heart desires. If you’d like to explore our many caffeinated concoctions, just ask a barista to see the drink binder.

What are your plans after you graduate and how do you think your experiences at the Lion’s Den will benefit you moving forward?

After graduation, I will be doing postgraduate service for a year here in Los Angeles. I have learned a great deal about the best means of communication, problem solving and conflict resolution while working at the Lion’s Den. The job has allowed me to develop a diverse skill set, which I know has created a solid foundation for any future endeavors. The experiences that I have had as an employee at the Lion’s Den are invaluable. I feel incredibly blessed to have had this job for the entirety of my time as an undergraduate student at LMU.

What advice do you have for current and future LMU students?

Advice I would offer to current LMU students is to take advantage of the opportunities that LMU has to offer. Be involved and expand your horizons via the many great organizations at LMU. I had the opportunity to have a job at the Lion’s Den, be a member of Creare Service Organization, and be a founding member of Alpha Chi Omega. All of these involvements have shaped me into the person I am today. Discover what is important to you and allow LMU to help you seek out opportunities to be a positive impact. Advice I would offer to future LMU students would be to embrace the diversity of LMU. Come into the university with an open heart and an open mind, and you will easily find your place. Be confident in yourself and be open to viewing thoughts, issues, and ideas in new lights and through new lenses. Welcome change and embrace the challenges.

What will you miss the most about Loyola Marymount University?

I have been deeply impacted by the humans of Loyola Marymount University. I am forever grateful that I have had the opportunity to be a part of the LMU community and that so many wonderful individuals have become a part of my life. I will miss being surrounded daily by the students, faculty and staff that have motivated and supported me over the past four years. After all, it is the people that make LMU the remarkable place that it is.

By Nathalie Rubin