10 for 15: Kenney Chancey

Once homeless and a foster child, Kenneth Chancey will cross the stage at Saturday’s commencement as the first graduate from the Guardian Scholars Summer Program at Loyola Marymount University.

The Guardian Scholars Program provides programs, resources, services and support to meet the unique needs of LMU’s former/current foster youth, emancipated minors and homeless and independent students. The program is committed to the development and engagement of the Guardian Scholars and prepares them for life after graduation. After coming to LMU in 2011, Kenneth, a senior political science major from Los Angeles, entered the program as part of its first cohort in 2013 and has served as a mentor to fellow Guardian Scholars. While at LMU, he was also a part of the First To Go Program, and worked for Alumni Relations.

As part of the10 for 15interview series, freshman Nathalie Rubin asked 10 questions to 10 seniors from the Class of 2015 who were involved in Student Affairs. Here’s what Kenneth had to say about his experience as part of the Guardian Scholars Program.

Why did you choose to come to Loyola Marymount University? 

It was not known to my friend group and it was in Los Angeles. I was tired of hearing about UCLA and USC, but I wanted to attend a school in Los Angeles. LMU provided that opportunity.

What made you get involved in the Guardian Scholars Program?

This program was naturally fitting for me to spearhead. It was specifically for former foster and homeless children, both of which I fit the criteria.

How has you involvement in the Guardian Scholars Program affected your experience at LMU?

It provided me a sense of responsibility and allowed me the opportunity to grow professionally. It also demonstrated that LMU was willing to provide a space for students from the most disadvantaged backgrounds.

What is your favorite memory from being involved in the Guardian Scholars Program?

My favorite memory doesn’t come to mind because the program has evolved so much and I put enormous effort into the development and scheduling of events. Each moment I had with other students like myself was a moment to remember.

Who at LMU has inspired you and how have they done so? 

Catherine Graham, Kathleen Flanagan, La’Tonya Rease Miles, Darin Early, Marilyn Hayes, Collin Hinds, Clarence Griffin, Jennifer Ellspermann, Jennifer Belichesky-Larson, Nate Sessoms and Tom Arteaga. This group of names are the names that allowed this four-year journey to be successful.

What is the most important lesson you have learned as a Guardian Scholar that you’ll take with you?

The story of a homeless child not pursuing secondary education is a real one. The foster child who doesn’t sense a supportive community doesn’t get involved in one. The dangers associated with depression are real and alive. Nothing I have stated should come as a surprise because stories like this are not uncommon, they are untold. GSP has been created to address problems on each students personal level because no story is the same.

What is something most people don’t know about the Guardian Scholars Program that you’d like them to know?

It exists.

What are your plans after you graduate and how do you think your experiences in the Guardian Scholars Program will benefit you moving forward?

I will be entering the workforce, using what I have learned at LMU to be a champion for change.

What advice do you have for current and future LMU students?

Success isn’t overnight. A text is instant and so is an email, but success is a process. School is one step, not the step.

What will miss the most about Loyola Marymount University?

The bluff, the smiles and the views. I have been blessed to attend a school that really displays ALL that Los Angeles has to offer. From the beach to the city, everything in sight at LMU is a sight to absorb.

By Nathalie Rubin