Peers Teaching Lions Health and Wellness

Mental and physical well-being are at the heart of the Student EXPerience at LMU, as students are encouraged to continuously practice integrating mind, body and spirit into their college journey. One of the ways LMU students are getting involved and providing support for their fellow Lions is through the Wellness Educator program. LMU student Samantha Palermo ’22 was excited to join the Wellness Educator program even before she arrived on campus.

IMG 3660 e1570822494125 150x150 - Peers Teaching Lions Health and WellnessLMU student Samantha Palermo ’22 was excited to join the Wellness Educator program even before she arrived on campus. “One of the reasons I came to LMU was for the Wellness Educator program,” said Palermo. “I want to help people who are struggling. I was involved with a peer education program at my high school and I was hoping to continue that leadership and care for people in college.”

Samantha Palermo ’22
Major: Psychology

IMG 1563 e1570822537814 150x150 - Peers Teaching Lions Health and WellnessLMU student Sarah Jones ’22 found out about the program through a professor during her first-year at LMU. “I was excited to learn about the program because I hadn’t yet felt for getting involved with an organization,” said Jones. “I couldn’t wait to apply for the program last year.”

Sarah Jones ’22
Major: Psychology

The Wellness Educator program, sponsored by Student Psychological Services (SPS), arose students who wanted to raise awareness of mental health issues among the LMU community. The goals of the Wellness Educator program helps to educate fellow students about mental health and wellness, reduce stigma around mental illness, and raise awareness of SPS and other wellness resources on and off-campus.

Wellness Educators receive intensive training and ongoing supervision by psychologists and other mental health professionals on topics including:

• Anxiety, stress management and mindfulness
  • Assertiveness, healthy communication and healthy relationships
  • Body image, disordered eating and self‐compassion
  • Depression
  • Resilience
  • Suicide prevention

Each presentation is created specifically for the student group or class who submit the request. “We tailor each presentation to the group we are speaking to,” said Palermo. “This week, we gave a presentation on sleep and balance to one group, and in two weeks, we’re speaking with a group on depression and suicide.” The Wellness Educators also try to educate student groups they are personally involved with on campus, including their sororities. The Wellness Educators also participated in the new Wellness Wednesdays on campus, presented by Lion Wellness. They had a table to talk with students about Depression Screening Day and provide QR codes for students to go online to learn more about depression.

“Coming to college is a huge step for a lot of people, it’s a transition and being able to normalize that conversation around it is important,” said Jones. “We want to help students on our college campus understand this and be more comfortable with their thoughts and how they are feeling. I came to LMU from New Hampshire, and I needed to identify outlets to help me transition to a college lifestyle. I needed to recognize when I need to be alone, to put myself first and I want to help people learn those skills too.”

For Palermo, fellow Lions need to know that Wellness Educators are here to help. “I’m a peer who is in this with you,” said Palermo. “Students need peer education and support. I also know the impact of self-care. I need time to recharge, and I spend a lot of time by myself as well to help me balance.” For Jones, students need to know they can approach the Wellness Educators for support. “Many students think that going to SPS is the only place they can go for support, Wellness Educators are here to help and support our fellow students learn about balance in their life here on campus.”

To learn more about the Wellness Educators, visit their website.