A Journey from the United States Army to Pastor

The military offers a unique opportunity to travel the world while being in an atmosphere that provides direction while promoting leadership and physical, emotional, and mental toughness. Striving to experience the world from a larger perspective and searching for an environment that encourages discipline, Pastor Sammie Haynes, a graduate student from Macon, Georgia, decided to join the United States Army.

Pastor Sammie Haynes
Graduate student
Major: Theology

Samhollywood scaled e1605238629367 270x300 - A Journey from the United States Army to PastorThe two reasons that influenced Haynes to join the military include: many of his family members all served in the military; and he decided as a young college student that he needed to be more focused and disciplined about his life. He was a 13 Bravo and was stationed his entire military career at Fort Bragg, his favorite location in Fayetteville, North Carolina. For three and a half years he spent his time operating heavy weapons built to launch ammunition far beyond the range of foot soldiers.

However, for Haynes, his momentous experiences were not limited to the confines of work while he was serving on active duty. He recalls,

“One of my favorite memories in the service was the day of graduation from basic training and AIT,”  said Haynes. “My parents and grandparents drove from Georgia to Fort Sill, Oklahoma, for me to look out in the audience to hear them cheering for me.

“It was a phenomenal moment I will forever cherish.”

SammiLA Pastor Sammie Haynes scaled e1605238704461 215x300 - A Journey from the United States Army to PastorHaynes describes his experience as a student veteran as spectacular despite the new virtual format in which he credits his professors, faculty, and staff for being extremely helpful. He selected LMU to experience diversity and range of thought from other religious beliefs and race interactions. For Haynes, his journey as a graduate theology student is how he is living a life of purpose.

“The heart of my life as a graduate Theology student is to live a life on purpose allowing, my faith to seek understanding,” said Haynes.

“There is nothing less important to me than to work in harmony with humanity and the ecological nature of all God’s creation.”

LMU is so lucky to have these student veterans. Be sure to check out the Veteran Appreciation Week Virtual Exhibit here or the Veteran Programs page to find out more information.