Aspiring FBI Agent Joins the Air Force

Inspired by the character Alex Cross, Emmanuel Roman Broussard ’23 wanted to join the FBI to track serial killers. Instead, at just 19 years old, Broussard decided to join the U.S. Air Force. With the help of some veterans he knew in his community, Broussard was able to get the proper guidance needed to set a path for himself that helped him reach his goals. Ultimately he served in the Air Force active duty for seven years and the Guard/Reserves for two years.

Emmanuel Roman Broussard ’23
Major: Theatre Arts 

Training scaled e1605628214655 199x300 - Aspiring FBI Agent Joins the Air ForceJoining the armed forces allowed Broussard to avoid taking out student loans. While he was serving, he worked as an intelligence analyst. Broussard researched, assisted in mission planning, managed collection platforms, and provided analysis to our satellite acquisition process. As many airmen, he moved around frequently. He has lived in various locations such as Las Vegas, Afghanistan, Hawaii, and Los Angeles.

He made most of the relocation process. One of his favorite memories comes from Las Vegas, where he rented a house with 5 of his close friends. He recalls a sweet memory where he and his buddies dressed up and took group photos.

“What the military gave me was the ability to embrace the ‘suck.’ Life sucks sometimes,” said Broussard.

“It just does. Things don’t always happen the way you want them to, but you are responsible for your own life.” This lighthearted mindset is what keeps him thinking positive through these challenging times. He reflects on his experience as a college student during COVID-19 as “Amazing. I’ve been a broke college student. I’ve been an online student. This experience has been fulfilling, fun, and made me proud to be a Lion.”

Student Service scaled e1605628666943 285x300 - Aspiring FBI Agent Joins the Air ForceBroussard left the military to attend school and transferred to LMU from New York Film Academy. He is now a theatre arts major at LMU and strives to become a film actor. As an LMU student, Broussard has made an effort to embrace living a life with a purpose. He summarized his overall experience by revealing that,

“I feel blessed to wake up every morning. I feel like it is my duty to appreciate and take advantage of that. I look for the beauty in things. I refuse to hold grudges or let little things tear me down.”

LMU is so lucky to have these student veterans. Be sure to check out the Veteran Appreciation Week Virtual Exhibit here or the Veteran Programs page to find out more information.