From KXLU to MTV

Mukta Mohan may have graduated from Loyola Marymount University in 2014, but she continues to host a radio show on KXLU — an experience she credits with helping her land at MTV.

Mohan, a Fountain Valley native who majored in Communication Studies, spent her undergraduate years on the LMU bluff as a disc jockey for KXLU 88.9FM. Like many KXLU alumni, she kept her DJ gig at the station and hosts “The Mukta Show” on Wednesday mornings.

After graduating in May 2014, Mohan worked as producer for American Public Media’s business news radio show Marketplace, hosted by Kai Ryssdal. In March, Mohan was hired as a podcast producer for MTV News.

In her role, Mohan works with editors, writers and other producers to develop show ideas, book guests, record interviews and conversations, editing audio, packaging podcasts and writing web content. Before this, MTV had never produced podcasts, according to Mohan.

“I think KXLU helped me get both of those jobs [at MTV and Marketplace] because the station shaped my love for radio and gave me valuable experience with working on air and with managing teams,” Mohan says.

Mohan’s KXLU show, which airs across Los Angeles and streams online — features a range of independent musicians from new local bands to lesser-known older groups. The three-hour show includes music of all genres, as well as interviews with musicians, filmmakers and Los Angeles enthusiasts.

Mohan also DJs at venues and events across Los Angeles. Along with her friends started a music and arts collective called Honey Power, which hosts parties, film screenings and DJ events.

As a student at LMU, Mohan began her DJing career as the KLMU Director. She then worked her way to KXLU’s promotions director and finally to station’s general manager during her senior year.

“KXLU is where I can really experiment and be creative with the format,” Mohan says, “and my favorite segment is when I ask listeners to send in their personal stories related to music that has impacted their lives. It’s beautiful to connect with their experiences and use that to hear songs differently.”

Mohan adds that her favorite part about her time as the KXLU Director was the professional experience she gained.

“As a student, you’re often working with adults who have full-time jobs at music venues, festivals, record labels,” she says. “They take you seriously and might not even know you’re a student, which means they hold you accountable and expect you to be responsible. This really sets you up for life after college.”

That professional experience at KXLU is what led to Mohan’s opportunities after LMU including Marketplace and MTV News. She also presented about gender representation in independent music at TEDx Culver City in March.

“If students take the work seriously,” Mohan says, “they can learn all kinds of skills.”

In addition to her role at KXLU, Mohan says that her involvement with the Center for the Study of Los Angeles and the Human Rights Coalition enhanced her student experience at LMU.

“Those extracurricular involvements are where I made most of my friends and where I learned valuable skills that I continue to use,” she adds.

“The Mukta Show” airs on KXLU 88.9FM from 6 to 9 a.m. on Wednesdays, and MTV Podcasts are available on iTunes.

By Nathalie Rubin

Photograph courtesy of MuktaOnline.com