Summer of Crime (Forensics)

lmu shannon bourne 620x413 - Summer of Crime (Forensics)

With inspiration coming from her father, professors and chemistry club, Loyola Marymount University junior Shannon Bourne is spending the summer interning in the forensic crime lab at the Los Angeles Police Department.

Name: Shannon Bourne ‘19
Major: Biochemistry
Hometown: Whittier, California

LMU EXP: What are you doing this this summer?

Shannon Bourne: In my internship at the Los Angeles Police Department, I work one on one with a mentor analyst — a forensic scientist — on various projects and cases the department is completing. I could be doing tasks like retrieving evidence, comparing hair fibers or identifying body fluids. 

What led you to your internship?

I come from a family of several law enforcement officers, and my whole life had been centered on law and investigation, but I didn’t plan on going into forensic science. Then my dad introduced me to his friend who told me about her work as a criminalist. I was completely entranced and thought, “Of course, this is what I am supposed to do.”

Because I’m a student in STEM [science, technology, engineering and math] and already familiar with the law enforcement, I applied to local crime labs to be a forensic intern. Last summer, I interned with the Orange County Sheriff’s Department in their community programs division. I hadn’t yet taken the courses necessary to apply as a forensic intern, but I wanted to become more familiar with the field.

With my LAPD internship, I will be able to gain the experience and familiarity of the crime lab to pursue a career as an analyst.

What experiences on campus have helped you in acquiring your internship?

In the LMU Chemistry Society, I learn more about my professors and interact with them outside of the classroom. One of my professors has a family member working at LAPD as an analyst. Hearing about her further inspired me to peruse my internship.

I also think that the incredible lab facilities and equipment on campus played a part in landing my internship, as a lot of the technology and procedures used in the crime lab are common practice in my chemistry and biology labs.

What advice do you have for fellow LMU students?

My advice is to start early toward your goal, gain as much experience as possible, and network with those around you all along the way. Before I could be in the crime lab, I was taking advantage of every possibility to meet everyone I could. Because of this, I feel I was able to get ahead and gain the opportunity that I have this summer.

I really enjoy when I’m in class and hear about real world examples. For me, it’s always been easier to understand a process or concept when I know how it’s used in the work force.

What I hope to do is relay how the instruments and processes that I have utilized in the crime lab are some of the very same that we have seen in our chemistry and biology labs on campus. I think that’s important because I know that LMU isn’t just preparing me for a lab experience, it’s preparing me for a career.

By Lester Leon