Designing His Dream

lmu justin parker engineering 620x372 - Designing His Dream

Justin Parker’s dream job is to design supercars. Using what he’s learned in the classroom, at his summer internship and as part of Loyola Marymount University’s Auto Club, he plans to make it happen.

Justin Parker ’19
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Hometown: Glendora, California

LMU EXP: What are you doing this this summer?

Justin Parker: I am an intern at PBS Engineers, which is a consulting engineering firm in Glendora that focuses primarily on mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineering. As a mechanical engineer for this company, I design piping diagrams, equipment schedules, detailed mounting diagrams and more. I also work with other companies and engineers to fully complete a project. It is full-time — 9-hour days, 5 days a week — but I look forward to going to work every morning because I learn so much every day and enjoy being able to apply what I have learned at LMU. 

Outside the classroom, what shapes your LMU experience?

Because of my interest in cars and the design process of supercars, I am involved in the LMU Auto Club. As part of the club, I get to interact with other people who admire cars like I do. I also have the chance to see some of the components of cars up close. I find that it inspires what I want to do in the future and keeps me motivated along the process.

What do you plan to do after LMU?

My dream job is to design supercars, but I understand that it is unlikely I will find a career like that directly after graduation. So I hope to work at PBS Engineering after I graduate, since I like it so much. That will allow me to gain more experience while pursuing my dream job.

What advice do you have for fellow students?

You can never apply to too many jobs or internships. The job market is very competitive with high-quality workers, so don’t feel ashamed applying to several jobs, and don’t be offended or surprised to face rejection (it happens to everyone). Once you get a job/internship, try to engage with others and introduce yourself to as many people as possible, mainly because first impressions mean a lot to people.

By Lester Leon