Building a Network as a Student Employee

Ruby Walker ‘23 is a film, television and media studies major from Boulder, Colorado. She currently works in the Student Employment Services office as a co-general for the Student Worker program. In this role, she helps oversee 22 students in the program to make sure they are meeting their 20-hour minimum work requirement. Walker also helps schedule meetings, plan events, and coordinate with university staff to set up large events. Walker started working as a student employee as a first-year student for Facilities Management in the recycling yard where she assisted full-time staff with collecting and sorting the university’s recyclables.

IMG 5033 scaled e1649175318735 2048x1386 1 620x420 - Building a Network as a Student Employee
LMU’s Student Worker Program hosts a table at Wellness Wednesday.

Walker said working as a co-general has helped provide experience in leadership that she can transfer to any position after college. “This has also given me a network of people that I can call upon in the future,” said Walker. “My favorite part of my job is the people I work with. They make the sometimes stressful or difficult days more fun and enjoyable.”

20180813 Ruby Walker Portraits 132341 600x900 1 200x300 - Building a Network as a Student Employee
Ruby Walker ’23 student co-general for LMU’s Student Worker Program.

“Through the Student Worker program, I have met so many people with different backgrounds and cultures from my own,” said Walker. “I’ve gotten to learn about them and see a much more diverse world from Boulder, Colorado.” When she is not working or attending classes, Walker is involved with the Ignatians Service Organization and the Student Brewing Club.

Walker’s advice for those students interested in working on-campus, “Apply for jobs that they’re interested in, but also the ones that don’t seem like they would directly relate to their major because you can learn and grow from every position on this campus.”

IMG 04131 620x465 - Building a Network as a Student Employee