Development of the Whole Person as a Student Employee

Cristina Pedler ‘22, an international relations major from San Diego, began working as a first-year student in the Office of the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs in Malone and is now the student manager for the office. Pedler also works as an associate editor for LMU’s Asia Media International, a digital media publication out of LMU, and will continue working for the publication after graduation this May.

Cristina Pedler headshot scaled e1649450941645 300x279 - Development of the Whole Person as a Student Employee
Cristina Pedler ’22

As student manager, Pedler oversees a team of 25 student employees in the office and checks in on them, creates and updates training, hires and onboards new student staff, and helps visitors to the office get all their questions answered. “I’ve learned the value of creating and sustaining relationships in my team and even across teams in other departments,” said Pedler. “No matter what your role is, being a supportive and positive-minded person is going to get you far.”

Cristina Pedler with Co Managers scaled e1649451003981 300x271 - Development of the Whole Person as a Student Employee“I’ve chosen to shape my experience at LMU around the development of my whole person, to integrate mind, body and spirit,” said Pedler. “I’ve developed my mental self through engagement with different on-campus learning opportunities, my physical self through exercise classes at the Burns Recreation Center, and my spiritual self through different modes of reflection, whether that be through art, yoga classes, or Campus Ministry.” Pedler is also involved with the ASLMU, Lambda Pi Eta Communications Honor Society, Order of Omega, Campus Ministry and Latinx Student Union.

Cristina Pedler with two SVPSA students scaled e1649451049282 620x415 - Development of the Whole Person as a Student Employee
Cristina Pedler with two SVPSA students

Pedler’s advice for those students interested in working on-campus, “Definitely give it a shot,” said Pedler. “If you’re worried about homework and work balance, know that LMU is an educational institution first, so your employer will prioritize your academic success.”