Finding Purpose on a Migrant Trail in Arizona

Leading an Alternative Break trip to Tuscon, AZ, was more than an educational opportunity for Karolina Reyes ’19. The experience helped her become more informed on current immigration policies and reflect on her parent’s immigration experiences.

Karolina Reyes ’19
Major: Higher Education Administration
Hometown: South Gate, CA

As a graduate student, Reyes, co-led the trip, which helped her become more informed on current immigration policies and reflect on her parent’s immigration experiences. To help prepare for the journey, they researched immigration policies and as a leader, “I was learning alongside my peers about immigration and the realities migrants experience at the border,” said Reyes. “We wanted to create a safe space for students to gain knowledge and ask questions.”

Ten members of the LMU community including undergraduate and graduate students and a staff member drove 11 hours to Tucson, AZ, for an Alternative Break Trip to experience what people at our nation’s border are facing. The week-long trip connected Loyola Marymount University students with local non-profit organizations like BorderLinks and Operation Streamline, who are helping to advocate and support immigrants at the Arizona and Mexico border crossing.

Unknown 5 e1567110363145 300x300 - Finding Purpose on a Migrant Trail in ArizonaFor Reyes, this was an opportunity to stand in solidarity, gain awareness and provide support. “The trip also helped me reflect on my own family’s experience crossing the border into the U.S. and express gratitude for where I am today,” said Reyes. “I didn’t get here on my own. My parents have really paved the way to create a better life for me.”

One of the most memorable moments for Reyes was heading to the migrant trail to drop off gallons of water for migrants coming across the border. The group connected with a local nonprofit organization called Borderlinks, who helps facilitate educational immersion trips in the Arizona-Sonora region. “It turned into a full-circle moment for me, as I imagined what my family had gone through journeying across the border,” said Reyes. “Like so many other immigrants crossing the border and facing inhumane conditions. I connected most with this experience because I could encourage each of them that their life matters.”

For Reyes, the trip has helped her reflect on how she will Live a Life of Purpose. “Throughout the trip, I was surrounded by individuals who were standing up for what they believe in,” said Reyes. “It really inspired me to find that and to continue it the rest of my life.”

“It’s impacted the way I think and how I will move forward as a professional in higher education. I want to participate in trips like this and give back by getting plugged in with a local non-profit. It’s been an opportunity to remind myself that there’s so much work to be done and many ways to make an impact.”

The Alternative Breaks Program is a one-year commitment which requires attending pre-trip meetings, including visiting a local site related to your issue and post-trip advocacy. After the trip, participants are expected to work to develop post-trip action on the issues related to their trip. Interesting in going to Tucson, AZ on the next Alternative Break Trip? Click here to learn about this year’s AB Trip to Tucson and all of the other AB Trip opportunities.